Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Martini

Here's how to tell you're really drunk. When you appreciate a well made martini, in fact so much so you stake part of your identity on it, perhaps in a misguided attempt to reconnect with the colonialist roots of your hometown, and yet end up making one with lime flavored ice, because that's the first ice you find. Because maybe you won't even notice. It's not about being too drunk to taste the difference. It's about being beyond that drunk, about being so drunk you think, I won't notice the lime. So drunk you figure, I'll be able to put up with it, because I like the rest of the martini and am too tired to go and find good ice. That's probably how my ex-wife felt about me. It's why I keep sending her emails. Except it's the lime I want. I'm trying to ignore the martini.

No comments: